Types of Careers in Pharmacy | Pharmacy Career Paths for students who want to make their career in this field. All about Pharmacy
- Types of Pharmacy Jobs | The field of pharmacy is primarily separated into three sub-disciplines:
- Pharmacy Career | Scope of Pharmaceutical in India
- Pharmacy Career Paths | Career Path After Graduation
- Pharmacy Technician Qualifications | Pharm d Qualification| Qualification Required (Eligibility Criteria)
- Holders of a D. Pharm (Diploma in Pharmacy) are eligible to enroll in a B. Pharm programme (lateral entry).
- Pharmacy Courses and Duration
- Pharmacy Salary | Types of Pharmacy Jobs and Salaries
- Entrance Exam for B pharma | D pharma entrance | Pharmacy entrance exam after 12th
What is Pharmacy?
“Pharmacy is a branch of health sciences that concerned with the manufacturing and distribution of drugs. Its goal is to ensure that pharmaceutical medications are used safely and effectively.”
Types of Pharmacy Jobs | The field of pharmacy is primarily separated into three sub-disciplines:
- Medicinal Chemistry & Pharmacognosy
- Pharmacy Practice
Pharmacy Career | Scope of Pharmaceutical in India
The pharmaceutical sector is expanding at a steady pace both in India and overseas, providing excellent employment prospects for thousands of students.
Pharmaceutical science incorporates a wide range of scientific fields, including drug discovery and development, as well as various therapies.
Pharmaceutical Sciences can be split into various categories such as Drug Discovery and Design, Drug Action, Drug Delivery, Drug Analysis, Clinical Sciences, Regulatory Affairs, and Cost Effectiveness of Medicines.
New medication development, formulation development, analysis, and toxicity investigations are all part of the research and development process in the pharmaceutical sector.
These analyses are carried out by sophisticated and state-of-the-art machines. In the field of Pharmaceutical Sciences, students can pursue diploma programmes, bachelor’s degree programmes, master’s degree programmes, and doctoral level programmes.
Highly competent technicians and researchers with an M. Pharm or a PhD are in high demand for research and development objectives.
Pharma students have a variety of job opportunities because of the increasing pharma business.
There are numerous alternatives available, ranging from hospital pharmacist to community pharmacist to drug inspector.
As the need for medications rises, so the number of people employed in the pharmaceutical sector is also increasing.
After gaining experience in a particular profession, students are increasingly considering teaching as a career option. Pharmaceutical marketing and sales are some of India’s highest-paying jobs.
Pharmacy Career Paths | Career Path After Graduation
- The pharmaceutical industry has a lot of job opportunities and is growing at a rapid pace.
- Hospitals, business, and research labs are all good places for students to work.
- Their employment comprises the procurement, stocking, preparation, and distribution of pharmaceuticals and health accessories in both private and public institutions.
- They monitor the use, composition, and effect of drugs and are in charge of counselling medical personnel on the selection and side effects of various medications.
- Pharmacists are involved in the formulation and manufacturing of medications in the pharmaceutical industry.
- Pharmacists’ research is used to make medical drugs. Drug Control Administrators, Hospital Managers, Trainers, Assistant Professors, Chemical Analysts, Food and Drug Administrators, Pharma Data Analyst, Health Centre Managers, Drug Dispensers, Pharmaceutical Marketing Representatives, Research Managers, Health Inspectors, Drug Technicians, and Drug Therapists Customs Officer, Drug Inspector, Regulatory Manager, Medical Transcriptionist, Hospital Drug Administrator, Insurance Coder etc. are among the careers available to students who pursue pharmacy programmes.
Pharmacy Technician Qualifications | Pharm d Qualification| Qualification Required (Eligibility Criteria)
A written test is part of the Pharmacy programme admission procedure. GPAT, or Graduate Pharmacy Aptitude Test, is a national level entrance exam for admission to Masters Level Pharmacy institutions. Every year, the National Testing Agency (NTA) holds an exam for admission to M Pharma programmes.
Human Anatomy and Physiology, Pharmaceutical Analysis, Pharmaceutics, Pharmaceutical Inorganic Chemistry, Computer Applications in Pharmacy, Communication Skills, Biochemistry, Pathophysiology, Pharmaceutical Organic Chemistry, Environmental Science, Physical Pharmaceutics, and others are among the major areas of study in the Bachelor of Pharmacy programme.
The most critical factor that every candidate must meet in order to be qualified for any course is eligibility. Candidates can verify the eligibility requirements for the pharmacy programme in which they want to enrol.
D.Pharm Course Qualification:
It is the pharmacy diploma. The minimal need is a 10+2 diploma. It must be passed with subjects in physics, chemistry, mathematics, or biology. Candidates must be 17 years old at the time of admission to be considered for this programme.
B.Pharm Course Qualification:
After passing the 12th/intermediate exams, you can pursue a bachelor’s degree in pharmacy. Candidates must have completed 10+2 with Physics and Chemistry as obligatory subjects, along with one of the Mathematics, Computer Science, Biotechnology, or Biology, with a minimum of 50% in the qualifying test. On or before December 31st of the year of admission, you must be at least 17 years old and no more than 23 years old.
Holders of a D. Pharm (Diploma in Pharmacy) are eligible to enroll in a B. Pharm programme (lateral entry).
M. Pharm Course Qualification:
This course leads to a master’s degree in pharmacy after satisfactory completion. To be eligible for this course, you must have completed a Bachelor of Pharmacy (B. Pharm) programme with a minimum of 50% grades. There are no minimum qualifying grades for SC/ST students.
Pharm.D Course Qualification:
In 1950, the University of Southern California School of Pharmacy in Los Angeles, California, created the first Pharm.D. programme. The programme lasts six years (5 years of classroom study and 1 year of internship). The needed qualification is 10+2 with Physics and Chemistry as compulsory subjects and either Mathematics or Biology as an elective.
Admission is available to D.Pharm (Diploma of Pharmacy) holders.
Ph.D in Pharmaceutical Sciences Qualification:
It is a research programme in the field of pharmacy. Candidates can enroll in this programme after earning an M. Pharm from a reputable institution.
Pharmacy Courses and Duration
Pharmacy Diploma Courses:
- Diploma in Pharmacy (D.Pharm) –2 years
Pharmacy Undergraduate Courses:
- Bachelor of Pharmacy (B. Pharma)– 4 Years
- Bachelor of Pharmacy (B.Pharm) Lateral Entry – 3 Years
- Pharm (Hons.) – 4 Years
- Bachelor of Pharmacy (Ayurveda) – 4 Years
Pharmacy Postgraduate Courses:
- Master of Pharmacy (M.Pharm) – 2 Years
- Pharm.D (Post Baccalaureate) – 3 Years
- Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D) – 6 Years
Pharmacy Doctoral Courses:
- Ph.D in Pharmaceutical Sciences – 3 Years
Pharmacy Salary | Types of Pharmacy Jobs and Salaries
- The compensation package is determined by the candidate’s qualifications, location, and experience. In India, a pharmacy graduate’s starting income ranges from Rs. 15000/- to Rs. 25,000/- per month.
- A Pharmacist’s annual income averages Rs 201,945 in India. Those that run their own pharmacy will be able to earn more.
- After one year of experience in the United States, the remuneration would be between USD $40,000 to USD $120,000 per year.
Entrance Exam for B pharma | D pharma entrance | Pharmacy entrance exam after 12th
Pharmacy Courses Admission Tests At The State Level Include:
- Delhi CET (Delhi Common Entrance Test)
- AP EAMCET (Andhra Pradesh Engineering, Agriculture & Medical Entrance Test)
- KCET (Karnataka Common Entrance Test)
- WBJEE (West Bengal Joint Entrance Examination)
- UKSEE (Uttarakhand State Entrance Exam)
- AP PGECET (Andhra Pradesh Post-Graduate Engineering Common Entrance Test)
- MH CET (Maharashtra Common Entrance Test)
- BITSAT (Birla Institute of Technology & Science Admission Test)
- TS EAMCET (Telangana State Engineering, Agriculture & Medical Entrance Test)
Lovely Professional University (LPU), JALANDHAR
- Lovely Professional University (LPU) is a private university in Punjab, located on the outskirts of the Jalandhar city.
- It is India’s largest single-campus university, with over 30,000 students, having 4000 faculty and staff, and more than 200 programmes.
- UGC has recognised it, and it is also a member of AIU. According to the Times Higher Rankings Impact Education 2020, LPU is among the top 200 universities in the world.
- The university has received numerous honours, including the ASSOCHAM Best Private University Award in 2017, which was presented by Sh. Prakash Javadekar, Union Minister of HRD, Govt. of India.
- The University is prepared to establish itself as a Centre of Excellence in Research, with internationally benchmarked curricula, experiential learning innovative pedagogy, and 200+ foreign tie-ups for equitable and reasonable quality education.
- Admission to LPU Jalandhar is based on the university’s LPUNEST examination. In addition to the LPUNEST, the University accepts a number of other national-level entry tests. Admission to all of LPU’s programmes is done entirely online.
I.K Gujral Punjab Technical University [IKG-PTU], JALANDHAR
- I.K.Gujral Punjab Technical University was founded in 1977 as Punjab Technical University and was renamed in 2015 to honour former Indian Prime Minister Sh. Inder Kumar Gujral.
- It provides courses in a variety of subjects, including technology, management, pharmaceuticals, and more.
- There are 121 AICTE and 65 UGC Institutes connected with the university. It possesses more than 10 campuses across Punjab, spanning 78.16 acres of land.
- Overall, the NIRF ranks 3rd in the state, 33rd in research, and 54th among India’s top 100 universities. Admissions are granted depending on both merit and the scores of the entrance exam.
CT Group of Institutions
- CT Group of Institutions, Jalandhar, Punjab, was founded in 1997 and is associated with I.K.Gujral Punjab Technical University (IKGPTU), Jalandhar, with the goal of producing worldwide leaders, achievers, and winners.
- It aspires to open up new doors of opportunity for students by gaining a better understanding of their needs and providing a good education.
- The institution is dedicated to delivering an ever-improving educational system by implementing changes in the delivery of education and creating an environment that ensures students’ employability.
- The group is dedicated to bringing in the best educational system possible.
- It is devoted to and committed to achieving excellence. Their aims to equip students for leadership roles in today’s complex environment.
- It offers a variety of educational institutions ranging from pre-school to post-graduate; and with a devoted and experienced staff, a pleasant environment, and great infrastructure, it aims to give an ideal and endowing education that can be regarded as world-class.
ST. Soldier Institute of Pharmacy and Polytechnic
St. Soldier Institute of Pharmacy is a major educational institute in pharmacy field, offering a variety of pharmacy diploma, degree, and master programmes.
Bharat College of Nursing
Bharat College of Nursing is well aware of the difficulties that nursing students face. Their mission is to assist students in overcoming obstacles and achieving their objectives in the nursing and pharmacy sectors.
Q-1 What is Pharmacy?
Ans: The skills, practice, and profession of making, preserving, compounding, and distribution of medicines is known as pharmacy.
Q-2 What are the different types of pharmacy?
Ans: community pharmacy, compounding pharmacy, industrial pharmacy, hospital pharmacy, consulting pharmacy, clinical pharmacy, regulatory pharmacy, ambulatory care pharmacy, etc., are the different types of pharmacy.
Q-3 Who is known as father of pharmacy?
Ans: William Procter, Jr. is known as father of pharmacy.
Q-4 Who is the father of pharmacy India?
Ans: Mahadeva Lal Schroff is widely regarded as the father of Indian pharmacy education.
Q-5 Who invented the pharmacy?
Ans: When Benjamin Franklin assigned an apothecary to the Pennsylvania Hospital in America, he took a significant step toward separating the two professions. Since World War II, the pharmaceutical industry has progressed, resulting in the discovery and use of novel and effective pharmacological drug substances.
Q-6 What is the future of pharmacy?
Ans: More medication therapy management (MTM) services and discussions will be provided by pharmacists to patients on how to improve their treatment. As healthcare services become more integrated, a multi-disciplinary model of a healthcare team will be used to provide treatment to patients.
Q-7 Which is better Pharm D or M Pharm?
Ans: Both the Pharm D or M Pharm lead to different pathways of careers. M.Pharmacy is designed for students who want to specialise in a certain area of pharmacy. Pharm D is a six-year integrated programme that focuses on clinical pharmacy.
Q-8 Why we do pharmacy?
Ans: From the very first stage of a drug to formulation development, pharmacy plays a critical function in enlightening patient care through medicine and medicine-related information. Pharmacy studies can lead to a variety of benefits and career opportunities.
Q-9 Which country has highest pharmacist salary?
Ans: United States with average salary $133,014.
Q-10 What field of pharmacy makes the most money?
Ans: Nuclear pharmacists earn the most money among other pharmacists.